The Guinea-Pig Hutch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Longhair guinea-pigs

2 posters

Go down

Longhair guinea-pigs Empty Longhair guinea-pigs

Post by Alicia Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:05 am

Does anyone have any longhaired guinea-pigs? I have been considering getting a longhair sows (possibly sheltie but I don't mind too much tbh) and I was wondering if they require much more care than shorthair sows. I was told they need grooming once a day but most owners I know of longhair sows only do it once or twice a week and their guinea-pigs are fine. I was just wondering if anyone owns one and what different care they require compared to shorthairs. I've been trying to get a longhair since January but I went to a breeder to get one and fell in love with 2 little shorthair, one 8 months old, the other 6 weeks, and took them home instead Laughing
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 552

Back to top Go down

Longhair guinea-pigs Empty Re: Longhair guinea-pigs

Post by Guest Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Tara and Layla are my first guinea-pigs and they are an Aby and a Coronet so they're both shorthaired. I think the longhaired guinea-pigs are beautiful though, I love crested guinea-pigs, hopefully I'll get one one day

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowmegs Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:27 pm

I have one crested pig and one texel cross (not too sure what He's crossed with TBH). With My Texel I just give Him a quick grooming session every day where I use my fingers to get any knots out, snip off any matted fur and make sure the fur around His rear end is snipped short to avoid any dags. He gets bathed once a week, He takes a long time to dry so I try to bath Him on a warm day otherwise I put the heater on in the piggies room, or if you can get your girl used to a hairdryer then that's even better. Every month His nails get trimmed and He gets a quick hair cut if He needs it.

shadowmegs
Hutch Companion
Hutch Companion

Female Posts : 125

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:23 am

Thank you. I've been brushing her fur every day and for the time being if she gets dirty (she's got very light fur so it gets dirty more quickly) I've just been wiping her with a towel to get it off because I'm waiting for the shampoo to get here
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 552

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down