The Guinea-Pig Hutch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Medical Guide

3 posters

Go down

Medical Guide Empty Medical Guide

Post by Laceychris92 Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:48 pm

LACK OF APPETITE: If a guinea pig goes off it's food when there are no detectable symptoms of illness, first examine it's teeth. If the lower incisors appear to be over long (if in doubt compare with a guinea pig that is eating well) and the ends of the top ones are beginning to curve inwards, there is likely to be problems with the molars, further in the mouth.

DIARRHOEA: More often than not, this is nothing more than the kind of tummy upset by wich we humans can be affected. It can, however, be the symptom of seriouse bacterial infection of the digestive system, so it must be monitored very carfully, so if you wake up one morning and discover your guinea pigeith a fluffed up coat, running diarrhoea, and looking utterly miserable, seek expert attention immediatly. It will be in need of urgent treatment, ushually an antibiotic. Apart from cleaning it up, keeping it warm, and, of course isolating it from your other guinea pigs, there is nothing else that can be done, so you would have to wait for ut to become itself again.

EAR PROBLEMS: There are two main ear problems to wich guinea pigs are prone: mite infestation and bacterial infection of the inner ear. The symptoms of mite infestation are: the guinea pig will shake it's head vigorously, somtimes squeaking I irritation, or it will be seen to scratch it ear more than usual.

EYE PROBLEMS: These are two fairly common eye problems that can be treated by you: blocked tear ducts and debri in the eye, it's ushually loged under the
lower eyelid.

* These are very good care tips on guinea pigs. I will be posting more on foot problems, pregnancy, skin infestation, and teeth. It took alot of research on my part to find this, so thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope this helps you in the future. Very Happy

Last edited by Laceychris92 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Male Posts : 230

Back to top Go down

Medical Guide Empty Re: Medical Guide

Post by Laceychris92 Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:46 am

FOOT PROBLEMS: The first symptom is inflammation of the foot pads. This spreads to the whole of the foot. Patches of hard skin like scans from on the nada. When these are lifted, the foot usually bleedes alot. The flesh underneth these scabs is usually ulcerated, and occasionally, but rerely, there is pus there. (In the latter cases there tends to be much less bleeding.)

PREGNANCY: Pregnancy in guinea pigs can be refferred to as an illness, most being absolutly trouble free. However, there are a couple of supplements that can greatly enhance a sow's ability to carry and deliver her young with ease, but guinea pis almost never have problems when giving birth.

SKIN INFESTATION: The sensitivity ofcthe guinea pig's skin means that it suffers from three major problems. Two are parastic and fungal infestation. The main symptom of fungal infestation is very heavy scurf on the skin, similar to human dandruff, but much thicker. There may be white 'tide-marks' on the ears. The hair will fall out in patches.

TEETH: The overgrowth of teeth in guinea pigs does not now present me with a problem. In the vast majority of cases where you can trim back the teeth. Though occasionally you will have to trim the teeth to even them up a little.

* Thank you for reading! This also took alot of research on my part and I love doing it and I hope this will help everyone if needed. I will be posting tons more guinea pig information! Very Happy
:guineapigrun:

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceychris92 Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:27 am

BRONCHITIS: If your guinea pig has a runny nose, and sneezes more than usual, sound it's lungs. You should lift it up and press it's side, just behind it's front legs, against the ear. If you can hear a click between inhalation and exhalation, then the infection is at an early stage, and can ushually be nipped in the bud using herblal medicine. (Do not forget to listen to both lungs).

CYSTITIS: This condition occures much more frequently in sows, but it I'd no unknown in board. Symptoms vary: in the majority of cases the guinea pig will be constantly wet underneath, and there will be a stale odour. Examination of the genital area might reveal some crusting on thebgenitals, and the interior of the vulva might be coated with a yellowish discharge.

CONSTIPATION: Constipation is relatively rare in a guinea pig. The symptoms are hard, dry pellets, a little smaller than usual. Somtimes these are joined together like a string of sausages. When guinea pigs are constipated they are most likely dehydrated.

WORMING: Guinea pigs can get internal worms, but these are relatively rare. However, they can suffer from a build up of parasitic activity in the gut wich can overwhelm the natural balance of the gut flora. Garlic can be helpful in reducing this activity, regular three monthly treatment with conventional medicine.

* If there is anything else that you want to know that I didn't post then feel free to ask. Thanks for reading. Very Happy

:guineapigrun: :guineapig2:

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceychris92 Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:02 pm

HEAT EXHAUSTION: Guinea pigs left in a hutch wich has no shade are always in danger of dying from heat exhaustion. The temperature in a hutch can rise very close to those wich unfortunate dog experience when locked in unventilated cars while there thoughtless owners go shopping . The symptoms are obvious. The guinea pig will lay flopped out like a rag doll, respiration slow and, depending on the length of time it has been suffering.
Immediatly soak a towel in cold water and wrap the guinea pig up. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GIVE FLUID BY MOUTH. As soon as the guiea pig shows that it's getting better take it out of the towel and put it in the cage. ( If it's cage is a hutch make sure it's in the shade).

LIP SORES: Some guinea pigs are very prone to lip sores, wich usually begins at the corners of the mouth and then spreads a little way along the lips. They form the kind of scares that are similar to us humans when suffering a cd. Though they are not life threatening, they can cause deep unceration if not checked, leaving craters on the lips will make eating for the guinea pigs painful.

* Thanks for reading! Very Happy If you have any questions about any of these subjects then feel free to ask! Very Happy

:guineapig2:

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:15 am

I think feeding too much fruit can cause lip sores too, is that right? I read that apple shouldn't be fed too often because it can cause that.
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 552

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceychris92 Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:33 am

Yeah, apples are the one fruit I stay away from, but everyonce in awhile fruits okay. :guineapigrun:

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaira Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:03 am

I believe fruit for guinea pigs is like chocolate for kids; in moderation, it's fine.

Too many veggies also give mushy poos. Just cut down on the number of veggies, until they're normal, and then gradually increase to the reccommended amount.

Anaira
Anaira
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaira Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:28 pm

Laceychris92 wrote:
PREGNANCY: Pregnancy in guinea pigs can be refferred to as an illness, most being absolutly trouble free. However, there are a couple of supplements that can greatly enhance a sow's ability to carry and deliver her young with ease, but guinea pis almost never have problems when giving birth.

Just a note; guinea pigs actually have one of the highest rates of birth problems. An ARBA cavy judge, and president of the ACBA, Tracy Iverson, says that "... breeding a sow means a 20% chance she will die ..."

just a couple of links, from well-known and respected sites. Hope this helps, *linky* and *clicky*

Anaira
Anaira
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:47 pm

I've seen those websites that you've posted links to Anaira and they must put people off breeding! Seeing all the facts and what can go wrong listed like that - its just not worth the risk!
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceychris92 Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:38 pm

No, it's not worth the risk at all, Alicia. Truly, I'd he devastated if anything happend to my piggies during a pregnancy.

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:47 am

Because of the subforums being made in this section, I have altered the name to make it more clear what this thread is about and moved it to the health section, I hope thats ok. Smile
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down