The Guinea-Pig Hutch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fungal infection in her ear - could this cause deafness?

3 posters

Go down

Fungal infection in her ear - could this cause deafness? Empty Fungal infection in her ear - could this cause deafness?

Post by Alicia Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:49 pm

In April my 6 month old sow, Amber, had a fungal infection around her ear, and it was kind of white on the inside of her ear. I used a shampoo and melt from gorgeous guineas and it went away, but I was just wondering if this could have affected her hearing? It was sort of right in the ear. What do you think?
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 552

Back to top Go down

Fungal infection in her ear - could this cause deafness? Empty Re: Fungal infection in her ear - could this cause deafness?

Post by Anaira Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Depends how far in it went, and how long she had it. If you snap your fingers right above the ear, does she react the same way if you do it to the other ear?
Anaira
Anaira
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Fungal infection in her ear - could this cause deafness? Empty Re: Fungal infection in her ear - could this cause deafness?

Post by Alicia Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:09 am

I've tried clicking my fingers near her ear and she doesn't look round. I'll try again later but I think she might have hearing problems
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:40 pm

I hope her hearing is OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Thank you Smile I don't know how good her hearing is, and I already know her sight isn't great either, but she was happily running around in the run this afternoon and she has found her way round her new hutch (she's even worked out how to use the ramp which is good because I was worried about her falling down it) I've noticed one of the other sows have chewed her ear a bit, but that is probably because they were in a hutch before that was only really big enough for 2 guinea-pigs, but yesterday I moved them into a bigger hutch now so that should stop, I hope Smile
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaira Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Heh yeah, they're great at adapting aren't they? D'ya know why her sight is so poor?
Anaira
Anaira
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:28 am

No I don't know for certain but she is showing signs of poor eye sight, like she won't run away until I try to pick her up until I touch her, so she might not know I'm there, and a few times she's walked into things like the food bowl and the other guinea-pigs but she doesn't do this so much anymore. Also, when I first put her in the new hutch she walked towards the ramp and when she realized it was a slope she stopped. So she went down a bit then turned round and came back. I've also held my hand flat out above her head and she doesn't duck or try and move or anything she just sits there. I got her from a Pet Shop which I will never do again as she came with a fungal infectoopn and I don't agree with the way they took care of the guinea-pigs there, and a lot of pet shop guinea-pigs could be inbred or something which is more likely to cause these things? I don't know, just a thought. She's 6 months old and so far I haven't needed to take her to the vet but when I do have to I'll ask the vet to check for me so I can know for sure. She still does everything as normal but sometimes she's a bit daft and sits in the hay rack or walks into Marmalade, it's quite funny because when she does that Marmalade just looks at her like 'What are you doing?' lol!
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaira Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Lol; I can just imagine Marmalade's face! Yeah, inbreeding can often produce problems like that. Also, her eyes look pink in photos; are they actually, or is that just the flash? Because pink eyed pigs actually do have worse eye sight than others.
Anaira
Anaira
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Yes her eyes are pink
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Fungal infection in her ear - could this cause deafness? Empty

Post by Laceychris92 Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:13 pm

That really stinks to hear.

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Male Posts : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum