The Guinea-Pig Hutch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I??

3 posters

Go down

Should I?? Empty Should I??

Post by Laceychris92 Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:35 pm

OKay, I need some advice. Well, I have plenty of room since I hooked up a play pen to my piggies cage and there's these two piggies on craigslist two females and the lasy asked me to take them becuse she doesn't want to seperate them becasevirs the little ones mother and I feel bad, but I need to talk my mom into it. Does anyone have any advice?? Very Happy

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Male Posts : 230

Back to top Go down

Should I?? Empty Re: Should I??

Post by Alicia Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:08 pm

As long as your cage is big enough there shouldn't be a problem, but be prepared for more vet bills, and obviously they'll eat more food so that will be more expensive. You could explain to her that females almost always get on fine in one big group and that you'll be giving them a good home which they might not otherwise get if they went somewhere else. What did she think when you got your first guinea-pig? Because if she was quite happy with you getting the first one she might be more likely to let you get more
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 552

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaira Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:47 pm

Just be careful you don't over-stretch yourself; I did a few years back, and found myself really struggling to pay vet bills. Do you have a steady source of income? You might eventually persaude your mum to let you get them, but what happens if they get sick? Knowing parents as I do,(lol) they might not mind you having four, or five, or six, but when as many as two or three, or even four are sick, they are not going to be happy being told they have to pay. You might think, oh they wont all get sick at the same time! Believe me, they seem to know exactly how to all get sick, right when the wallet is lightest! Things like UTI can sweep through a herd; the best care in the world can't prevent illnesses.

Please don't take this the wrong way; I'm not terrible renowned for my tact, or writing abilities! But I'm speaking from personal experience here; parents might say their fine with vet bills, but they don't always realize that small pets can be even more expensive than cats and dogs. And believe me, they are! We paid over 2K at the vets last year; half of it would have been my rats(and yes, I paid most of it myself) Badger the guinea pig took out three hundred in one go, with more the next week, earlier this year, with a nasty bite wound. True, your girls aren't likely to get as nasty as that to each other, but accidents do happen. Also, what about your possiblly pregnant girl? Yes, its extremly unlikely that she is, but shouldn't you wait until your absolutely 100% sure?

Ok, that turned into a huge rant! Sorry, I didn't mean to judge, or anything. I just get carried away. :D
Anaira
Anaira
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:51 pm

I agree with Anaira too, if you haven't already, it might be a good idea to start a vet fund, especially if your guinea-pig is pregnant. I have a vet fund and at the moment I have just over £200 in it, it's not a lot really, considering I have 6 guinea-pigs, but I add to it every month and fortunately the most I've had to spend in one go at the vets so far is £20 when Barry got an infection, but its always best to keep some money aside just in case, especially if you have lots of guinea-pigs.
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceychris92 Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:15 pm

That's a great idea! I'm going to do that. And yeah, I have a regular source of income. I sell piggie pouches and I have my parents! LOL Smile Also, I have $10 in my vet fund as of now! LOL Very Happy

:addmy2cents:

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:16 pm

That's cool, hopefully you won't need it very often but its good to have it Smile What has your Mum said about the two new piggies?
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceychris92 Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:24 pm

I know my piggies seem very healthy and she said they would be lucky to have me and I assuming that's a yes. LOL Smile

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:38 pm

Yay, does that mean we can see some really cute guinea-pig photos at some point? :love:
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaira Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:40 pm

Good luck! And yes, we expect many cute pigtures.
Anaira
Anaira
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceychris92 Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:04 pm

Yes! The people aren't answering anymore! If that doesn't work out I'm going to help out this little GORGUSE one because they found it in there yard! lol!

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:05 pm

Ah that's cool Smile
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin