The Guinea-Pig Hutch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where should your guinea-pig live?

4 posters

Go down

Where should your guinea-pig live? Empty Where should your guinea-pig live?

Post by Alicia Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:43 pm

This is a debate which has been ongoing all over the internet for a long time, people debating whether guinea-pigs should live indoors or outdoors. When deciding where your guinea-pig should live take into consideration:
  • The climate where you live
  • Where it would get enough human attention
  • Where you could provide enough space

For example, I can provide my guinea-pigs with more space outdoors because they can have a larger hutch outdoors then they would be able to have if they lived indoors, however, some people don't have outdoor space or have a larger home so they would be able to provide more space for their guinea-pig indoors. If you are a very outdoor type person and you go outside often, your guinea-pig would get an equal amount of attention as if he/she lived indoors. Wherever you choose to house him/her I believe that all guinea-pigs should have some warmth and comfort especially during the colder months. In winter, my guinea-pigs move into a shed because I cannot fit all their hutches in my house. They are warmer then they would be outdoors and have beds, and hutch covers to provide them with the warmth they need.
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 552

Back to top Go down

Where should your guinea-pig live? Empty Re: Where should your guinea-pig live?

Post by Anaira Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:20 pm

Average life span of outdoor guinea pigs = four to five years.

Average life span of indoor guinea pigs = seven years.

There are exceptions, of course, but I think that just about says it all. Smile
Anaira
Anaira
Admin
Admin

Female Posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceychris92 Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:10 am

Yeah, I was going to say that, Anaira! Guinea pigs outside get way more stressed by not seeing you constantly!

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Male Posts : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceychris92 Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:11 am

Also, Alicia on your other thread about the ear infection.... They are more amune to things like that, but good luck with that. Very Happy

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:31 pm

I only think that mine are happier outside because I would have to seriously compromise on the amount of space they have if I brought them inside. They wouldn't be able to have big runs like they have now and their cages would have to be a lot smaller to fit them in. Also, because my guinea-pigs have always been outside, I've noticed their coats are not as soft as they used to be when they were babies, this is because they have grown a winter type coat to keep them warmer.
Also, Amber had ear disease, not an infection, so it didn't matter where she live, I believe she may have got it through bad breeding maybe, although I'm not sure Smile
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashleigh Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:59 pm

I do not agree with what Anaira said about indoor guinea pigs living for longer than outdoor guinea pigs. Outdoor guinea pigs have theur perks too. They get to hear the natural suroundings such as birds, and they get the morning sun, which is vital to their health. Although I do agree that indoor guinea pigs have their perks too, with more interaction with their owner.

:grouphug:

I had a guinea pig that lived outside happily for his entire life. He ended up passing away at age 6, which is quite old for a guine apig. My other guinea pig that lived outisde lived for 5 years before passing away. I currently have another guinea pig living outside in an absolutely massive two-story hutch. He is 1 1/2 years old, and very happy.

Ashleigh

Female Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceychris92 Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Everyone has there own oppinions. I on the other hand completly agree with anaira! Guinea pigs outside do nor live as long as guinea pig indoors and it's been proven, but whatever you feel is best is your own oppinion and I truly value everyones oppinion. I'v known people to have guinea pigs for 8+ years.

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashleigh Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:39 pm

Sure. Whatever you say. But what about the morning sun that is vital to guinea pigs health? And the natural sounds like birds chirping? These are the things that got taken away from them when they became pets. These are the things they need. Smile

Ashleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashleigh Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:45 pm

I would also like to say that indoor guinea pigs tend to have smaller cages, as some people just don't have the space. Another reason is that people don't place hutches inside, and they are a very spacious type of cage they are good for guinea pigs. And I think space is the most important thing for guinea pigs.

Have a look at my guinea pig's massive two-story hutch placed outside, and tell me if he is better off in it, or in a little cage inside:

http://guineapighut.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=8629235

Last edited by Anaira on Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixing broken link; fx it works!)

Ashleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaira Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Well, I know a forum that has the policy if you don't have room indoors for a large cage, don't keep them at all; and I can see where they come from.

Mine spend fine days outside; they aren't deprived of fresh air and sunshine, and they are protected indoors when bad weather comes, and at night time, when predators are around(it's not unheard of for ferrets, or dogs, to rip their way into a cage). Best part of both worlds. =)

Also, pigs have been bred as pets for years; they are not as sturdy as their wild ancestors, and cannot survive the way they did.

Your hutch looks great, btw! In any case, it looks like its in a sheltered position against a wall.

Also, Welcome to TGPH! Where should your guinea-pig live? 323738
Anaira
Anaira
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashleigh Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Yes. It is undercover, right next to our back door, which we use frequently. I also cover his cage up with a tarp at night. And if it is really cold or really hot, we place him in the 2x5 C&C cage inside.

Ashleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 am

Hi Ashleigh Smile :welcome: to the forum. I agree with you, mine are outside (well they're in the shed at the moment because the weather's quite cold) and it is nice to watch them run around in the sunshine, although I can see why them living indoors is good for them too.
I love your hutch! Smile
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceychris92 Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:49 am

My guinea pigs get plenty of time outside as well. I understand were everyon is coming from, but guinea pigs don't need to hear outside noises to be healthy happy piggies. It's good for piggies to get sun and guinea pigs should go outside for and hour or two. Imnot trying to upset anyone I am just saying my oppinions as I am allowing eeryone elses oppinions.

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:28 am

Yes, I understand what you mean. I think outside is probably a little calmer than indoors for the guinea-pig because of normal house noises like televisions etc. but then I think they can be warmer if housed indoors.
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:36 am

Also, being outdoors people can normally provide guinea-pigs with more space and larger hutches Smile
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Laceychris92 Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:55 am

Everyone has diffrent living situations. Like I can provide more room indoors rather than outdoors.

Laceychris92
Popcorning Piggy
Popcorning Piggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Anaira Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:12 pm

Alicia wrote:Yes, I understand what you mean. I think outside is probably a little calmer than indoors for the guinea-pig because of normal house noises like televisions etc. but then I think they can be warmer if housed indoors.

Where I live, inside can definately be quieter! lol

*glares at noisy neighbors*

And they're well away from industrial noises, i.e., chainsaws, lawnmowers, etc. My inside cages are in a seperate room from the tv/radios, anyway.
Anaira
Anaira
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicia Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:47 pm

It sounds like your guinea-pigs have the perfect home Smile I'd love to have my guinea-pigs indoors but I don't have the space, although in the Winter they go in the shed and they seem fine with this.
Alicia
Alicia
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashleigh Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:52 pm

Thanks guys. I agree with both of your comments. I love you I would love to keep my guinea pig indoors if I could, but my mum doesn't believe that amimals should live in the same environment as humans, for health reasons.

Although, she has made an exception for our dog, which sleeps on her bed. Razz She also adores my guinea pig Chester, but just thinks he's better outside. She even helped me buy this massive 2-story hutch as soon as she saw it. Cause she knew he would absolutely love it:
http://guineapighut.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=8629235[url=http://guineapighut.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=8629235]

Ashleigh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down